I did discover that part of my problem was caused by my generic DAO class. I ditched the Crank stuff, and I'm writing my own. It seems to behave much better, and I did move my transaction annotations to the DAO. That's just going to be something I (we) have to get used to.

Thanks for all the input!
Dave