I'm also trying to catch the DeadlineExceededException in order to
display a custom error page.
Announcing the error-Page in web.xml for 500 status does not work for
too long running requests.
So I opend a try-catch-block like this in my jsp-Page:

<%@ page session="false" %><%
try {

// do sth long running

} catch (com.google.apphosting.api.DeadlineExceededException ex) { %>
<% } %>

Now I'm experiencing HardDeadlineExceededErrors in the logfile.

In the API-Docs
http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/apphosting/api/DeadlineExceededException.html
is written, that after catching a DeadlineExceededException there would
be little time to do some cleanup etc. But it seems to be too little to
display something on the page that caused the long running request.

Is there any workaround for that?

Henry