@Guillermo

The problem with using Echo or GWT entirely for the frontend is search
engine optimization. If you take a look at the source of any website
that's built using GWT, you won't see much content at all, and that's
exactly what Google, Yahoo, etc see right now. This might change in
the future, but as far as I can tell not in the 'near' future :)

But I'm seriously consider slim3 right now. Wonder if it can easily
integrate with sitemesh, cause that part of my existing application I
really don't want to change much (everything else is still easy to
refactor).