I agree the documentation isn't fabulous for JPA, in that a vast
majority of it focuses on the JDO implementation and you end up having
to work out which bits of DataNucleus documentation should be used and
is relevant for GAE.  However, to give the team a bit of credit the
restrictions you are talking about are clearly documented at
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/transactions.html.

Having been through the pain with trying a JPA-based implementation
and reading through these message groups, it is quite clear that JDO
and JPA are just a very poor fit for the underlying datastore - using
the low-level API, or one of the open-source libraries such as
Objectify, Twig or Slim3 is probably a safer bet.