I think we all share the sentiment that App Engine is absolutely a blast to
work with when it's working well. We've heard the feedback and are working
on features to really help developers. For instance, the cold starts will
always be an issue, but we are hoping reserved instances will work well.
There are other features that we think will help developers address the
issues you've mentioned.

I feel like up under very recently, App Engine has been having an identity
crisis. Do we want to allow folks to run arbitrary code that currently runs
outside App Engine, or do we want to impose restrictions for working in our
environment that allow autoscaling and access to Google technologies, that,
until App Engine, were only accessible internally? We're finding more and
more that we're learning towards the latter, which has the promise of
releasing unbridled power into the hands of developers, but will ultimately
force developers to learn a different model of development. Experienced App
Engine developers always tell us that getting used to working with the
datastore or the 30 second limits takes a non-trivial amount of mental
processing power, but once they've gotten past those barriers, development
processes become much more comfortable again. We're likely to embrace this
model more in future releases. App Engine will favor developers that are
looking to solve problems and are flexible with implementation details, not
developers that are inflexible with the implementation details of how their
problems are solved.

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com