Hi Muhammad,

here is a quick response:

- read the datanucleus documentation on JDO for a general background
- read the Datastore, Queries, Indexes and Relationships documentation
from App Engine (we use Java API) for the set of restrictions they
place on using JDO with the GAE datastore.
- avoid using GAE specific types and APIs (e.g. Don't use "Key", use
"Long", etc). That is what leads to most of the restrictions on what
you can and can't do with JDO on datastore..... such as having both
Parent and child persistent objects with Long keys...etc
- I expect that JDO on MySql has some restrictions also. I am not
familiar with them, but our developer ran into a few of them.

- we are looking at using namespaces for the datastore, and might
create an emulation of it on MySql to keep our application code
portable...

>From that you get a kind of sub-set of what can and can´t be done with
JDO on GAE/MySql, and leads to you having to manage child object
storage via keys manually.

Then off course, set up your project to be able to be built and ran on
Tomcat/MySQL with little extra effort, and test on that other platform
regularly and as part of your test and release process.

It IS extra work, no doubt about that, even after the initial learning
and experimenting. More coding, and more testing....

If there was a common place to share experiences in these attempts at
portability (e.g. a wiki?) then we'd be happy to contribute to it, and
learn from it...  not sure to what extend Google (with it´s cloud
portability goals) would be willing to host/contrinbute to that????