Hello,
I'm trying to figure out possible solutions for a problem. I'm
currently using openID to authenticate users, restricting to Google as
an identity provider (both gmail and Google Apps).

What I need to do is to obtain reliable user information before a user
logs in to the application. Use case is simple:
*I want to make the app installable to a Google Apps domain (say for
the marketplace).
*During installation, domain admin logs in to my application, and I
retrieve domain's user list (tipically using Google Data java client
library)
*Domain admin configures roles for my application users (e.g. read
only or read/write access).

Obviously, no other user in the domain has logged in.
When the user logs in for the first time, I will have to apply correct
roles and permissions, as provided during configuration.

Best way to do this should be to access the unique userID provided by
UserService/User classes. According to documentation, this is the only
stable identifier for a given user.
So how is it possible to obtain it before the user logs in?
I tried to use User class constructor User(java.lang.String email,
java.lang.String authDomain), but this does not populate the ID. Is it
safe to save the object you obtain from such constructor, store it in
a temporary list, then compare it to the value returned by
userService.getCurrentUser() and apply roles accordingly?

Thanks for any help on this
Regards
Lorenzo