I experience this problem.  I'm also using a library that makes the
actual call, so I can't use the URLFetch service method.  I will have
to revert to GAE SDK 1.4.0.

Mac OSX 10.6, default JVM, Eclipse Helios:
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)

My stacktrace:

Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Could not verify SSL
certificate for: https://URLREDACTED
        at
com.google.appengine.api.urlfetch.URLFetchServiceImpl.convertApplicationException(URLFetchServiceImpl.java:114)
        at
com.google.appengine.api.urlfetch.URLFetchServiceImpl.fetch(URLFetchServiceImpl.java:41)
        at
com.google.apphosting.utils.security.urlfetch.URLFetchServiceStreamHandler$Connection.fetchResponse(URLFetchServiceStreamHandler.java:418)
        at
com.google.apphosting.utils.security.urlfetch.URLFetchServiceStreamHandler$Connection.getInputStream(URLFetchServiceStreamHandler.java:297)
        at
com.google.apphosting.utils.security.urlfetch.URLFetchServiceStreamHandler$Connection.getResponseCode(URLFetchServiceStreamHandler.java:150)