I think one of the best ways to start learning about the datastore is to use
the low-level API:

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/datastore/package-summary.html

We changed our docs recently to show examples using this. As far as open
source projects go, you can take a look at how Objectify and Twig (there are
more, please list!) are implemented using the low-level API.

--
Ikai Lan
Blogger: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com