The google checkout sdk doesn't work on appengine.  There are some
reports of weirdness (like you describe) relating jaxb.  I considered
investigating and found the SDK code doesn't compile, decided this
wasn't for me.

If you want google checkout, don't use the SDK - just write your own handlers.

I just completed Amazon Payments, and while it has its own quirks, the
API is cleaner than GC and *way* cleaner than Paypal's.

Jeff