Hi,

My first bit of advice is read all of the documentation available, even if
the topic doesn't appear relevant at first, as there are little gems of
knowledge and limitations about the platform scattered throughout.  I'd even
go as far as to say you would benefit from reading the Python documents as
well, rather than sticking to just the Java docs.

Secondly, if you don't know JDO yet, don't bother learning it - it's really
not the best fit for the GAE datastore, although it is a slightly better fit
than JPA.  Instead learn and use one of the GAE-specific datastore
third-party libraries, such as Objectify or Twig.  I can highly recommend
the former, through personal experience - I've also heard very good things
about Twig as well.

Cheers,
Simon