Thanks Jeff, I think I will use Longs as you suggest. I was
originally thinking "why add an extra piece of data when there's a unique
value there?" Well, now I know why!

Just one question - the DatastoreService.allocateIdRange() - when would this
be used? I have read the javadoc and understand that it reserves the IDs for
bulk loading etc, but can you give an example of when it might be used. At
the moment I have some code that creates 5 lists of my 5 entities (dummy
data), puts all 5 lists to the datastore, links them up using keys, and then
puts them all again. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again for being so helpful.

Drew