The problem with using the Channel API this way is not quota usage, it's the
rather significant amount of work required on the client & server to make
this work.

Making an ajax call from client javascript is trivial.  Making an ajax call
PLUS setting up, tearing down, and processing messages from the channel API
is a massive PITA.  A modern development environment shouldn't make you go
through this much trouble to do something so simple.

Multithreading largely addresses this issue.  Async services don't have the
issue at all.

Jeff