Sounds promising... Should say that I didn't know about the backend service
so far. I'm starting with GAE, but with a non trivial problem, instead of a
hello world :-)

Now I just need to be able to update my timers in a second by second fashion
(there are situations where I need to restart them). As far as I could see,
Thread.sleep( 1000 ) should not be a problem...

Thanks for the advice Bruno!