@Jayr and @Ikai, thanks for the assistance!

Actually, I cannot change this requirement because this is the core of the
business. I don't really need synchronized clocks between application
instances, but I need a unique global vision of a regressive timer, which
can be reset at any time. That is, I need one or more timers that can be
reset according to client's actions on the UI, and clients need to know
every second what is the value of the timer and what happened in the
previous second.

I believe this is achievable on GAE since I found at least one product
deployed on GAE which promises to implement the same kind of business...