Thanks for the great reply as always Jeff.

In contrast to you, my app is going to be used only by employees of my
company, so preferably I would like to have all data sent over the wire
encrypted. We're talking about employees of my company accessing data about
our clients - so it is very sensitive data and I would think therefore that
whether I need to use a DTO or not, everything should be private. Is this
correct, or is it ok to use public properties without getters and setters as
long as I'm encrypting the data?

Cheers,

Drew