Given that the target GAE datastore should be optimised for reads, since
writes are expensive, normalization of data is by no means the way to go.

Are Categories and Groups joined in any way? i.e. Has a specific Category
got a set of groups, or the other way around?  If not, then storing the
group/category as a property within the Forum seems fine to me.

I would strongly suggest that you read up on the datastore before proceeding
however - the GAE datastore doesn't really consist of tables.  I would read
the following docs in their entirety before doing too much more work:

   - Datastore Overview -
   http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/datastore/overview.html
   - Java Datastore Docs -
   http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/datastore/
   - Objectify Docs - These give a good overview of restrictions and best
   practices when working with the datastore
   http://code.google.com/p/objectify-appengine/wiki/Concepts?tm=6