Many thanks, Andy, for the clarification.

I am still not sure which of the following statements describes the best
the behaviour I observe: it is (a) the intended behaviour, (b) not
intended, just happens to be like this or (c) a bug.

After regarding cache level: reading fleetingly through the JDO
specification (3.0), nothing sticks out to indicate that the JDO
implementation is supposed to manage any other cache than the second level
cache. (void evictAll() itself is listed under the *11.8 Second-level cache
management* section.) I am not sure what Level 1 cache may be...is it,
perhaps, an artifact of the datanucleus implementation?

Thanks

Peter