Thank you, Andy, for this information!

I have upgraded to DataNucleus plugin 2.0.0-RC2 which solves the issue in
my development environment. Can I use this version (RC2) in the GAE
production environment as well? Can I use the same deployment procedure
from within Eclipse as with the DataNucleus plugin bundled with the GAE SDK?

Thank you,
Peter