Thanks for the reply.

You're right. I did not use the Users API, as I do not want to force the
users to have a google account (or any other existing account). This will
be optional at a later point in time.

The user authentication happens on server side by a self-programmed
algorithm. Username and the hash values of the user's password are stored
in the datastore. So far this authentication is independent from any
session ID.

Hope this helps a bit.