I think it's a feature of the python syntax that all instance
attributes have to be referenced by self. In Java you get the help
from eclipse to mark class variables (by writing them italic).
Otherwise it coud be difficult to recognize them, too.

I like this feature of python that you are forced to write all
instance variables of a class with self.variable. With an
unterstanding of oo programming should be no problem.

Regards
Olli