1) yes - another reason is that GAE seems to deploy static files
seperately to code. So thats another complication in downloading (and
one that the enter app doesnt address). Also its not clear that GAE
actully stores a copy of your app.yaml and index.yaml -so those might
never be retreiveable. GAE has a limit of 1000 files per app, and
possibly all files you use during development are not uploaded -
meaning you would never be able to recreate the dev enviroment. A last
point is that there is no reason for GAE to know metadata -
(permissions, mime-types and timestamps), so these may never be
recoverable either (admittedly these arent always supported by
versioning systems) .

All in all lots of limits - and something that there are already
plenty of systems available for anyway

2) ideally yes

3) yes - but that is just one example of many.

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -