Hi,

We've identified an issue that can cause an application to hit one of our
short-term quotas after a very sudden spike in traffic, which would prevent
it from serving for a short time.  We're currently working on a fix to
address this issue and expect to have it out shortly.

On the broader issue of denial-of-service attacks, these are an unfortunate
reality in the web world.  While we don't currently offer applications any
specific protections against attacks of this nature, this is something we're
interested in looking into for the future.  In the near-term, when we begin
allowing developers to purchase computing resources beyond our free limits,
we will provide a mechanism for reimbursement in the event of a DOS attack.

-Marzia