Please see: http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=764

There is a recent thread on this group titled "Why Google App Engine
is broken and what Google must do to fix it."  I personally don't
think that any of the topics raised by the OP of that thread imply
that anything is broken - they are just feature requests.

What *is* broken, however, is writing to the Datastore.  Lots of
developers, not just me, have been complaining about this here for
months.  I don't think there's been any real response from the Google
team about this.  This issue needs to be investigated and hopefully
fixed before App Engine can be used for production.  The probability
of failure for any given data write request is just too high right
now.  I actually *am* using App Engine in production and somewhat
regretting it, mostly due to this issue.