Jeff Scudder blogged about making Contacts API work with AppEngine
here (
http://googledataapis.blogspot.com/2008/04/release-hounds-support-for-app-engine.html
), but gdata.py-1.2.1 is broken in AppEngine 1.1.5 (both are latest as
of 10-08-08).  The error is 'module' object has no attribute 'socket',
which already was posted on another Google Group here (
http://groups.google.com/group/youtube-api-gdata/browse_thread/thread/d8ee7ea2e3d873f2?pli=1
).

You can write a simple app using gdata.py-1.2.1 and AppEngine 1.1.5,
get it working  and tell me that I'm crazy, and I'll be glad to hear
that, but I spent the whole day and still didn't see it working.

Anyway, for now I fixed by still using the latest gdata.py.1.2.1,
copy /atom and /gdata to the application folder, but I replace all
the .py files with the same ones from one of the sample from
http://code.google.com/p/hello-youtube/downloads/list#.  I know that's
scary and crazy, but that seems to work for now.  It's better than the
alternatives which is either doing nothing, or using one of the older
gdata.py versions (don't know which one to select) or simply wait.

Hope someone from either team at Google see this post, verify the
problem, and fix it.