App engine to me is a hosting environmnt first, and an API second.
The API alone is no big deal. In fact, it has some annoying
limitations that many other api's don't. (I'm not complaining here)
App engine's killer feature is the fact that it is hosted within
google's infrastructure, with the ability to scale up by adding lots
of instances of your app automagically.

The challenge of implementing other languages, as I understand it, is
figuring out how to sandbox them, and bring up / take down instances
at will.