Ok, that makes sense. I guess that must be the reason why some of the
example apps (written by bret taylor) use REquestHandler classes that
subclass a BaseRequestHandler class that includes the original request
object:

def generate(self, template_name, template_values={}):
                values = {
                        'request': self.request,
                        'user': users.GetCurrentUser(),
                        'login_url': users.CreateLoginURL(self.request.uri),
                        'logout_url': users.CreateLogoutUrl('http://' +
self.request.host +
'/logout'),
                        'application_name': 'Questioneer'
                }
                values.update(template_values)
                directory = os.path.dirname(__file__)
                path = os.path.join(directory, os.path.join('templates,',
template_name))
                self.response.out.write(template.render(path, values,
debug=_DEBUG))

This seems like a helpful idiom so that all of the original request
variables for a get are available to the django template code for use
in POST hidden fields.
Correct interpretation?