I've made a benchmark and testing of the google app engine fetching
system. The data I've recolected have been very useful to me:

The full benchmark is at          http://analysis.buenoslinks.com

...As you see, the first try shows a low quote but executing the loop
more and more times has the  megacycle use increased by more than
250%! Nevertheless, the number of points fetched from the web was also
severely increased

Finally, I've tested the number of server errors throwed by google
application among the complete process

Seg.            % Server Error
08s.                  00%
09s.                  56%
10s.                 100%

Final Words:

Depending on the hour and network situation, the sandbox gives
approximately 8 seconds (sometimes 9) to your process to resolve. If
your application depends on fetched results, protecting your code with
timer blocks should be a good idea to avoid server errors. If you don
´t do it you will have several of these black and white error screen
These tests have also revealed the existence of a fetching proxy.
Actually it worked quite well during my tests but google should give
us more data about it in order to adapt or codes to it. The more
fetching you do, the quicker they are but megacycles are also
increased by 100% in my examples. I suspect that this increase is
produced by the access of the engine to the fetching proxy cache.

Another negative point is that coders have no control at all on the
fetching process.  I agree with the 5 seconds time out politic, it is
quite reasonable but I should be able to diminish this time when I
need it. In my project I should use this to make my code more flexible
depending on the network condition. If only threads were allowed it
should be another way with the quotas control system the google system
integrity is secure
As conclusion I think that google app engine is a good idea, but with
a lot of work to do. First de documentation has to be much more
precise, with much more technical data such as timeouts or high
demands process quotas. Google api’s are to simples, they are not
customizable at all. It is black or white, no grey. I’m very
enthusiast about it but it is actually not ready for big projects.