One of the most frequently requested features for App Engine has been HTTPS
serving capabilities.  Today we're excited to announce that App Engine now
supports incoming HTTPS connections using a certificate valid for all
appspot.com URLs.  Here's how it works:

* app.yaml files now support a new handler attribute, called "secure":

- url: /accounts/.*
  script: admin.py
  login: admin
  *secure: always*

*This attribute can be either "always", "optional", or "never" (default),
and determines the behavior of the handler for HTTP and HTTPS requests.  See
our documentation for more details:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/configuringanapp.html#Secure_URLs

* HTTPS requests have their own bandwidth quotas, but also count toward your
total bandwidth quotas.  You can monitor these quotas on your dashboard.

You may be wondering why we're only supporting appspot.com right now, and
not arbitrary Google Apps domains.  This has to do with fundamental
limitations in the SSL protocol (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Https#Limitations).  We're currently
investigating workarounds for this using e.g.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication>SNI (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication), which provides a
viable solution for newer browsers--we'll keep you posted!

This functionality is already available starting with the 1.1.5 SDK.