I wonder if another workaround for the IP-based limitations of SSL is
to dynamically assign a port for SSL for each app. So, I've got www.myapp.com
and when my app is started up, you assign www.myapp.com:7520 for SSL.
Another app on the server might get 7521, etc. The assignment is only
while the app is running. If the app is killed off that server, the
port is freed up for another app. So, as long as you have a larger
block of potential IP addresses than the number of apps running
simultaneously on a server, you should be fine (and there should be
plenty of available ports).

One disadvantage of this is that the special port will require a
special redirect, but I think that's manageable.