I'm mostly in agreement with Lex here. Bytecode isn't a "highly-
optimized" format. In fact, most Java compilers do almost no
optimizations on the bytecode they generate. This makes the job of
"understanding the code" easier on the JIT. I think this is fairly
self-apparent when you recognize that Java decompilers are awfully
good at reconstructing Java programs from bytecode.

So, it's not really bytecode that prevents GWT from supporting other
languages. Rather, it's that most other languages posited for GWT rely
on dynamic features of the JVM - i.e. reflection and dynamic class
these features. GWT avoids these features, because they are not
readily optimizable in the environment of a JavaScript application.

Scala's a great counter-example to this - Most of the libraries and
core features of Scala aren't dependent upon dynamic class loading and
reflection. In my opinion, it's imminently feasible to have GWT Scala
applications. We're certainly willing to review patches.