I'd recommend Django 1.0 along with the Helper or something similar.  You
could use Django without the Helper if you accommodate some of the import
technicalities, the Helper just makes it easier.  This article discusses
using Django without the Helper (though I'm not sure if the article works
out of the box with Django 1.0):
http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/django.html

See also the article on using the Helper, and the article on using Django
1.0 via a feature called zipimport (which the Helper also supports):
  http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/appengine_helper_for_django.html
  http://code.google.com/appengine/articles/django10_zipimport.html

As far as compatibility goes, the runtime environment is versioned, with the
intent that changes to a given version of the runtime will remain backwards
compatible with apps that run with that version.  When a new version of the
runtime environment is released containing incompatible changes, your app
will continue to use the original version until you update your app.yaml
file.  I haven't tried appenginepatch, but a version of it that works with
v1 of the Python runtime ought to continue to do so even when there's a v2.

-- Dan