A solution based off of this :
http://stuporglue.org/restrict-access-jpg-htaccess.php
on your remote server.

Use urlfetch to return and display the images. You'll need to
determine the best method for passing off to the remote server that
the request is from a validated GAE user, but that should be simple
enough for you to figure out without posting the information in a
group which is indexed by search engines allowing people to easily
bypass whatever you put in place.