The simplest would probably be just to use incredibably hard to guess
URLs - and then the GAE app knows the real url, or how to calcuate it.
(eg using md5 hashes with a shared secret)

Its not totally secure, people without an account could still access
them, if they where given the url, or if they figured out your url
structure and managed to brute-force it or similar. But to be honest
the level of security is pretty comparable of that of the Google
accounts.

Alternativally you could use some sort of short lifetime tokens. The
app in the background requests a token from your server and that token
is then passed in the webpage - that the browser then uses to request
the image. You could extend this to use cookies to also authenticate
the final user (the user also needs the cookie on their machine to get
the object)

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -