It seems like a pretty good approach to me.

One thing to watch out for is that things can vanish from the memcache
(due to memory pressure).  Don't assume it's going to be a reliable
storage mechanism!  If you're OK with possibly losing events, then
it's OK, but if you require all events to for sure be delivered, you
might want to consider using the datastore instead.