Say I want to create an app which collects data from various data
sources and presents it for the user (e.g.  aggregating data from RSS
and provide some browse/search interface for it).

Is it feasible to implement it on AppEngine only? I understand the
download interface provided by appengine is not really suitable for
this (download errors, quota problems). Is there a known way to
overcome these problems?

Or the only way to implement such an app is to do the data collection
externally and uploading the data periodically to AppEngine?

Which do you recommend?