I think the answer really depends on how much Google is willing to
invest in GAE.  Eventually could be two years from now or ten years
from now, but if its the later they may miss the boat considering
there are numerous big names and no names all moving into this space.
One of those big names is Microsoft, and while they are just getting
into this space, one thing they do really well is getting application
developers to target their platforms.  In my opinion Google has a long
way to go in that respect.

After using GAE's platform for the last few months I can honestly say
that the only thing I like about it is that I haven't had to pay for
the hosting of my app.  Sure getting an app going that fits with-in
the quite limited confines of what GAE supports well is quite easy,
but it doesn't take much to smack into GAE's walls and then it becomes
very much a square peg in round whole experience where doing things
that would be quite simple on other platforms is quite difficult on
GAE or even impossible without getting shutdown due to going over CPU
quota.

Josh