On 6 Gru, 03:26, lock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I honestly have no idea what Google's intentions are, I myself am very
> new to web2.0, the cloud, ajax, etc.  But in my limited experience
> with app engine so far I'd say it's an excellent platform for small
> specific purpose applications, say the type of app created by a
> developer in there spare time.  I would of never attempted to develop
> the app I'm currently working on without knowing that I could host it
> free on the app engine framework.  Would I recommend using it for a
> large scale production system, hmmm, probably not yet, but that's
> really only due to the CPU quotas.
>
> In future I believe we'll start seeing a lot more small applications
> that may not have existed had it not been for free hosting services
> such as app engine.
>
> Bouncing off the CPU limits is frustrating, but it does make you focus
> on efficient design up front.  Agreed scalability may not be necessary
> for 99% of apps developed, but I feel better knowing that my app can
> scale if it ever gets the traffic I hope it will receive.

On 6 Gru, 03:26, lock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I honestly have no idea what Google's intentions are, I myself am very
> new to web2.0, the cloud, ajax, etc.

See
http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/search?orderBy=rating&categoryId=1&type=product
For example, try clicking "Add it now" button on this page:
http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/viewListing?productListingId=5143210+6088191711778981644

I think it's quite possible in future entire IT infrastructure of
quite big companies will be hosted on GAE and Google Apps, including
enterprise ERP and CRM, Workflow and maybe in future even reporting
systems (last one would require some fundamental changes to how GAE
works, but I'm pretty confident that whatever problems might arise,
Google hires or can hire architects and engineers who will simply make
things done).

Given that currently commercial Google Apps can be integrated with
some of legacy company's systems (provisioning, SSO etc), it might be
even possible in future to implement GUI's to company's internal
properietary systems. Imagine dashboard gadgets of company's KPIs
directly on Service Level Manager's Desktop.

It might be quite good - GAE is free, so it's easy to start up;
GAE's servers generally don't break up - it's nature of cloud
computing that sometimes small percentage of operations fail, but
generally availability of whole cloud is (or will be after product is
out of beta) practically 100%. And there may be SLA's available to
commercial users.

I don't think it's Google's plan to do exactly this - they're just
experimenting with ideas and they're just being innovative. I think
they want to see if it catches up.

This can be a little scary - it might seem like Google is preparing to
take over all of worlds IT business ;)

But what they're providing is simply good quality and it's a natural
choice to use their services.
And in contrast to other service provicers, it's been relatively easy
to leave Google services if you want to - it's easy to switch from
Gmail to any other IMAP-enabled email service. With just a simple
mouse drag and drop in Thunderbird you can move all your Gmail archive
to - for example - Microsoft Exchange. But you wont, because Gmail
just works. You could easily port GAE application to Django and run it
on your own servers, but you wont, because GAE is cheeper, easier to
use and in fact more secure.

So I think they are just experimenting - they're giving for free a
service for users from all over the world to test. And if it works
(IOW: survives after being used by many users - some of them even
probably with quite bad intentions), they could turn it into a high
quality hosting platform and application market at the same time. Both
of which could be a source of revenue - and most importantly, would
make Google depend less on advertising market :D

These are of course my own speculations, I reserve the right to change
my mind at any time, and event to be simply wrong ;)

Best Regards
Maciej