> GAE front end server always gzip files whenever possible.

You probably don't know how applets work. You can compress the Applet-
jar file extremely by using pack200+gzip. For that you need the client
(the Java plugin in your browser) know what you did (send content-
encoding for pack200-gzip).

Obviously I have other webspace from where I could serve the jars with
whatever content-encoding I want. The problem is sandboxed Applets
only allow loading files from the 'path' (Domain) their jar-file was
loaded from. So if I want to read data from the appengine I have to
load it from the appengine :)