Thanks to those who responded. My observation that the blips occur at
apparently random times during the handler run lead me to be a little
suspicious of the new interpreter theory - I only do fairly minor
"from xxx import yyy" imports in some of the sections that have
included blips.

I'll add log points around my imports, and that will show if they
really are the culprit. I'll post back here when I get more data.

If it does turn out to be this, then I'd suggest it would be fairer
for app engine to take the cpu cost of loading new interpreters out of
the calculation, as they do with datastore and other API calls.

Cheers!
Greg.