There could be all kinds of things that cause random long periods of
delay, depending on how the framework actually measures the time.

For example:

1) Virtualization scheduling -- if they use something like Xen, it may
at times pre-empt your entire kernel image and take time out.
2) Garbage collection -- if the process keeps running, at some point
it will have accumulated enough garbage that it may need to stop-and-
collect.
3) Some driver or interrupt handler -- if the measurement is in
"wallclock" time, then any mis-behavior on the kernel part (flushing
buffers synchronously, a driver that poll-waits for some timeout, etc)
will show up as "yours."

Without knowing more how the duration is calculated, and what the
execution environment is in the cluster, it's really hard to focus on
only one possible cause. Especially if you can't even get kernel log
outputs or syslog type data from the (virtual?) machine itself.

Sincerely,

jw