Out of interest, why is it a requirement that you can page to any
arbitrary page? How would a user know that they want to go to page 5
specifically?

How about just letting them go to a page in the next/prev n pages,
where n is, say, 3 - as well as the last and first pages.

More on this here (although you've probably seen it):

http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/15665d731e1acd68#51784b642790339e