I tried a sledgehammer approach to a paging issue I'm having (fetch
(1000) page within it) and as expected, it's too heavy of an approach
and I'm getting datastore timeouts. So, before I dive too deeply into
approaching the situation I have, I thought I'd see if anyone else has
run into this and came up with a solution they'd like to share.

The requirements I have are:
 - Must be able to page through entities based on a numerical score
field that is not consecutive, though can be made unique if I convert
it to a float.
 - Previous, Next, and ?page=# (ie: ?page=5) must all be handled.

The situation is that I'm working on a site that's similar to Digg in
functionality. Stories are given a score by which they are ordered for
presentation. This score can change through user interaction.

Now, I have already ready and figured out a solution for next/previous

results = fetch(11)
?nextstart=results[10].score&prevstart=results[0].score

This doesn't give me the ability to link to specific pages. As scores
are changing and new entities can be created a rapid rate (bursts once
an hour of 50+ entities) trying to index and keep track on submission/
score change would also lead to datastore timeouts.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm beginning to think I just can not meet the
page number requirement using BigTable.