I'm not entirely sure that app engine hasn't occasionally been
throwing a time out here on even on the most simplistic queries. I
can't be sure as I can't see the timing data in the log. I think got a
couple the other day even though it's the same call that's worked
thousands of times. E.G.:

DataRows = db.GqlQuery("SELECT * FROM Table WHERE R=%i AND X='%s' AND
Y=%i AND Z=%i" % (a,b,c,d))

Now I'm going to convert this to a key lookup, but I can't see how
something like this should time out.

Some ideas to help us out:
1)
The log viewer now scrolls off the screen so that if the url is a 'log
get query' you can't see the timeout data on the log. Since it's on
the end. Can you move the timing to the start of the line?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/
2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4
2)
DeadlineExceededError. Can we break this down into specific errors of
each type of timeout? Also can the error that comes back spit out
profiling data to the console. E.G. a specific count for each of the
deadline counts we are up against the current value and the total
available?