Be aware that the value of a global variable is not known at the start
of a request.
It could be the value from the previous request if the interpreter was
already warm/running.
It would be the initial value if the interpreter was started cold.

Why not put the GQL object in the request handler self.gql1=
GqlQuery(...) or just a local variable?
How often do you bind new values to the query for each request?