I'm tempted to define an instance of GqlQuery in a global variable,
then while handling each request, to call the query's bind() method to
bind to it the parameters for the user who issued the request.

I'm relatively new to Python, but in a language like Java, this would
be a terrible idea - you shouldn't share the same instance of a
mutable object between threads.  Is this a concern on App Engine?

In other words, could a scenario like this occur?

QUERY.bind() called in request1
QUERY.bind() called in request2
QUERY.fetch() called in request1 (but QUERY is bound to request2's
parameters now!)
QUERY.fetch() called in request2

In this scenario, both request would fetch the data that was intended
to be fetched only by request2, which is unacceptable...