Currently the only efficient way to implement paging is to pass
parameters uniquely identifying the page's last entity to the next
page handler and use it there as a starting point.

See for example Brett Slatkin's talk (slides 34-37):
http://sites.google.com/site/io/building-scalable-web-applications-with-google-app-engine

This works great but there's still a problem: search engines are
polluted with too many URLs.

As in Brett's example, let's say we want to page through blog comments
sorted by their date. The URL for the next page will be  /comments?
next=X, where X is a composite string consisting of the comment date,
user id and comment id.

But, once a new comment is posted, the value if X on every page is
changed as well. Eventually, search engines will index O(C * P) URLs,
where C is the number of comments, and P is the number of pages.

How do you deal with this problem? The only solution I can think of is
to add rel="noindex" for all "next" links, but obviously it's not
optimal.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Alex