> In fact, given that Google already
> have a data partitioning mechanism for applications, I wouldn't be
> surprised if it was even lower level than the GAE platform, and part
> of the BigTable implementation.

You're hoping that the partitioning for a given datastore depends on
how google allows access to said datastore.  In particular, you're
hoping that the partitioning for datastores using a feature where a
given application can pick between a set of datastores is different
than the partitioning when a given application has access to exactly
one datastore.

That's unlikely.  If google decides to implement such a feature, it
would be silly to also introduce a different mechanism for
partitioning datastores.

> How would they even begin to assess the risk profile - do
> they have to audit your company's development practices?

If your customers are serious, they must, regardless of how your
application is deployed, regardless of who handles login/access
management.  Login code isn't the only risk.

And, if you're serious about login code, you must validate the login
result.  That is, once it is determined that a given user running your
application should use a given datastore, the application then must
look the datastore that it is trying to use and verify that it is
actually the correct datastore for that user.  Platform login code
can't do that check.  And, the platform's login doesn't provide much
information to the application for it to do such a check.

Yes, I realize that customers have different risk and cost
sensitivities so there must be some right around the points that you
like.  However, that's a long way from saying that such points
dominate.