Using Djikstra's shortest path algorithm, you can compute the shortest
paths between all nodes in the same runtime as computing the path
between any 2 nodes, so storing then querying the precomputed paths
would be a good approach as mentioned above.

> Since there are no files in AppEngine, my first thought was to create
> a model for the graph and then write a batch importer that puts all
> the nodes/edges into BigTable.

AppEngine actually does have read-only access to the filesystem, so
you could break a 3MB file into 3x1MB files, upload them along with
your application files via 'appcfg', then read the files from disk at
launch, cache the data in memcache or, for even faster access, in a
dict global stored in local RAM which is preserved between requests.

Robin