Hi Joseph,

   I've previously made this point here -
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/6319dceae6ec73e7/4d4d464c25537bda?lnk=gst&q=#4d4d464c25537bda
- so Google - people really do recommend against GAE because your
rodmap is so impenetrable.  Joseph, you may recognise a little of Bob
in yourself :)

   I am a C -> C++ -> Java -> J2EE guy over many years, so python is
not my language of choice - I only started using python with app
engine.  I'm not here because of comfort with a technology I know, I'm
here because of  business requirements.  I thik you'll find as the
next few years progress that IT houses everywhere will be pushing back
against massive in house platforms.  Amaszon manages the hardware side
of that pushback, Google manages hardware *and* sofware. The killer
feature with GAE is the platform offering - with Amazon you have to
roll your own software platform, which is time consuming and
maintenance intensive.  Yes Amazon provides a hardware virtualisation
service that lets you do that, and I use it for a number if things.
But for a lean architecture, which leads to agility, which makes
business happy, you want as much as possible in the not-my-problem
basket - i.e. in GAE.

   If you've spent much time in the world of relational databases,
then BigTable is an absolute killer feature.  It collapses
Scalability, Performance, Fault Tolerance, and ORM into a simple
offering with sensible mechanisms for transaction management.  All of
this stuff ends up as not-my-problem.  With Amazon, most of it is my
problem to some degree.

   To a degree, I think the argument that if it isn't on the
(laughably undefined) roadmap then you have to go elsewhere is a bit
hasty for a beta software platform.  Granted, google is always beta,
but GAE is in early beta by their standard - you can't even pay for it
yet.  This is an ideal time to try and influence the architectural
direction of the platform.  That said, I think google should realise
that if they don't publish a proper roadmap (especially for must-have
platform features - e.g. SLA, asynch etc.), then people are going to
recommend dumping GAE in favour of something else.

   The only feature request (that I am proposing) here is customer
data partitioning.  It is not a massive big deal, especially
considering that this is already in place, you just have to deploy one
app per customer, which is a bit tedious.  It doesn't seem like a
sufficient reason to jump ship and roll my own everything at Amazon.
It seems to me like an opportunity to say 'Hey, could you make this
aspect, which already exists, a little easier?'

   It seems to be like a ludicrously obvious step for Google to set up
an application market place, like the iphone app store, and open that
market to all of their google apps customers.  It is a license for
Google to print money - more so than the iphone, because we are
talking business customers, not joe-public.  If it isn't on their
(secret) roadmap, then my name is Fred.  This is the direction I have
suggested for the customer based data partitioning in
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?can=2&q=945

   Finally, it is obvious that Andy and I are coming at this from
different (strongly held) positions.  That is usually a good thing, as
long as both parties are honest in their attempts to understand the
other.

Colin
(not Fred)